Thursday, October 18, 2007

This Nonsense With Ellen's Dog

I don't even know where to begin. I guess I should start by saying that I am a fan of Ellen. I love her stand up routines and her show. I think perhaps she is suffering from temporary insanity!

I'm sure everyone has heard about this now since it seems to have saturated the media. Here is my basic understanding of the events.

*Ellen adopted a dog from a shelter/rescue service called Moms and Mutts. She signed a contract at the time of the adoption that stated if things did not work out with the dog, it would be returned to the shelter. Well, actually, her girlfriend signed it. But whatever.

*Ellen spent approximately $3,000 on training and care for the dog.

*As it turned out, the dog did not fit in with her family and did not get along with her cats.

*She gave the dog to her hairdresser who has 2 young children (I believe I heard they are 9 and 11 years old). The kids loved the dog and all seemed to be well in the world.

*The shelter made a follow-up phone call to check on the dog and Ellen informed them that she had given the dog to the hairdresser's family.

*Per their policy (which was outlined in the signed contract), the shelter basically did a doggie repo.

*Ellen appeared on her show and (bless her heart) had a nervous breakdown in front of millions of people. She begged and pleaded with the shelter to return the dog to the hairdresser and her children.

*The shelter refused, because they have a policy that does not permit them to adopt dogs to families with children under the age of 14.

Okay, first of all...we have men and women over in the Middle East fighting a war. We have an AIDS crisis in Africa. We have an upcoming election. There are children dying of cancer. I am literally embarrassed for Ellen that she would choose this issue to sob over in front of her entire viewing audience!

Second of all, I heard this morning that the owner of the shelter is now receiving death threats and arson threats! You mean to tell me that there are people out there who would be willing to take a human life over a dog???

And most importantly, I am so tired of hearing about this! Why should Ellen be above the rules that everyone else has to follow?? This is just one more sad example of celebrities being above the rules/laws that the rest of us must follow. Policies exist for a reason. Why should exceptions be made for Ellen? Why would someone want to kill the owner of the shelter for this?? Seriously, this is one messed up situation. Don't we have more important things to focus on in this country? I am truly sad that a few children had their dog taken away - really, I am. But come on, Ellen...buy the kids a new dog and let's all move on with our lives.

1 comments:

NesrstaFamily said...

Oh for the love of anything sacred ENOUGH ALREADY ELLEN! I am sick of it too and it gets more personal for me as Ryan is a soldier and no one seems to pay attention to the war anymore. Don't even get me started....