Friday, October 5, 2007

This is a first...

You can probably tell from the date and time of this post that I am not at the football game tonight. We drove out to Dickinson, and literally the moment that we sat down in the stands it began to POUR down rain. We took refuge underneath the stands and stayed there for nearly an hour trying to wait out the storm. All of the other wives who brought their children left after about 10 minutes. Elise and I tried to stick it out, and we made it through the first quarter. After that, I just could not justify keeping Elise out in the weather. It is KILLING me to not be there, especially this week. Jamie has been stressed all week long about this game, and I know how important it is. I feel like we have let him down by not being there to support the team when they need it most. To make matters worse, we were down 7-14 when I left, and as we were leaving the parking lot, I heard Dickinson score again. I've been getting text message updates from one of the other wives, and she tells me that it is halftime and we are down 14-21.

As much as I wish we could be there, I realize that this is one of those times when I have to put my child ahead of what I would like to be doing. Little love is nice and dry in her PJs, and that is what is most important. I got a sweet text from Jamie right before the game telling me to take "little love" (his nickname for Elise) home. He said it is just a game and we are still a team no matter what. This is the first football game that I have missed since we met.

I will update once the game is over and I hear a final score. In the meantime, I will be trying not to go crazy wondering what is happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was just one of those times where safety of the important team (our family... "my love" and "little love") should always come first. Although football is my job, my hobby, and sometimes rules my nerves... it will never come at the risk of you and Elise getting sick or even injured (the lightning strikes). Wish you could have been there, but you did the right thing my heart........
love,
JC

NesrstaFamily said...

Ummm ok, Mel I think you have a winner there. You guys are so cute; I could just wrap you up and keep you in my pocket. But, I won't because that is just weird. Seeing JC reminds me of Owen Wilson in 'Meet the Parents' when Robert DeNiro reminds Owen that Ben Stiller's character is Jewish and Owen says, "oh, well so was JC." It's one of my favorite movie lines for some reason. Yeah, ok....you guys make me smile.